Current COVID-19 Impact: Orders should ship with no delay. Full Details.

Radio 101 - Troubleshooting keys on a Midland GXT two way radio

If your Midland GXT Series two way radio stops responding when you press the buttons, don't panic. It may be a simple fix. In this episode of Radio 101, Anthony from Buy Two Way Radios provides a few quick and easy troubleshooting tips that may resolve the problem and save you a call to customer service. These troubleshooting steps apply to most Midland GXT and LXT Series two way radios, including the Midland GXT860, Midland GXT895, Midland GXT1000, GXT1050, GXT2000 and GXT2050.

36 thoughts on “Radio 101 - Troubleshooting keys on a Midland GXT two way radio”

• Chris

GXT797: I turn them on and all of the icons on the screen just blink, and as it blinks there is a little fuzzy noise as well. The buttons are not responsive. ????

This can happen if the batteries are too weak to power the radios. This is a very old model. If you are using the original rechargeable battery packs, it is likely they have reached their EOL (End of Life) and need to be replaced. If you are using fresh alkaline batteries and can verify it is not a power issue, it quite possible the radios themselves may be damaged. This can happen if they have been inadequately stored for an extended period of time in an area with high heat, humidity or moisture. Long term exposure to environmental elements such as heat and moisture can damage electronic devices, especially if they have not been properly secured for storage.
      Check the battery terminals for corrosion, and clean them as necessary. This is a common issue with radios that have been stored for long periods with the batteries inside. If the batteries and terminals are in good condition, it may very well be an issue with the internal circuitry of the radios. The GXT797 has been out of production for about a decade. Their successor is the GXT1000/GXT1050.

• Karl Shumaker

GTX1000 first was unresponsive showing "ln" so did a reset by battery removal for about 5 minutes. That was successful. The second time it was dropped and shows the same code "ln" and was unresponsive to a reset. Turning on gets the normal self-test, screen light and tone cut short then displaying "ln." After the normal delay time the screen backlight goes out but the code stays on the screen until turned off.
    I have opened it up and powered externally to try to find something loose to no avail. One large capacitor has questionable solder joints but that is it.
    Any suggestions on test and repair?

First, is it happening with just one radio, or the pair? How long have you had the radio? Are you using fresh alkaline batteries or the rechargeable battery pack? If you're using the battery pack, how old is it? When did this first start to occur? When was the last time it worked? Did anything change between the time it last worked and the time it stopped working? Has it been dropped or exposed to excessive moisture recently? Has the radio ever been opened prior to the start of this issue? Is there anything in the audio jack? Is there a strong source nearby that could potentially cause interference? The "In" icon should appear when the radio receives a weather alert. If it is stuck on from the time the radio turned on, and none of these other possibilities are a factor, the radio may be defective or damaged. These radios are not user serviceable, and they aren't intended to be so. they are also inexpensive, so performing a repair may not be worth the cost. If it is outside the warranty period, which for the Midland GXT1000 is three years, you may need to purchase a new one.

• Marshall R.

My gxt1050 will receive but wont transmit.

• Franklin Caval-Holme
    Franklin Caval-Holme November 12, 2019 at 7:37 pm

I had the same problem. Press the PTT button to end the weather forecast.

• Mark Megee

My Midland GXT1000 can transmit, but not receive. Any ideas? I was able to call it just a bit ago for a second, but I heard a lot of static. Since then, it won't receive a call.

• Jose Manuel Padilla
    Jose Manuel Padilla April 13, 2019 at 11:21 am

I have 2 midland Radios ( MXT400 and GXT1000) The privacy code dont work?
    Please help

• Steve Taylor

I have Midland G5XT . Fully charged. Turns on fine. Press the transmit key and they turn off ? Both handsets do this. Pls advise

The issue you described is usually indicative of weak batteries. This seems to be a long discontinued model for the UK, but based on the specs it uses either AAA alkaline or rechargeable batteries. If you are using the rechargeables, it may be possible those batteries have reached their end of life. Have you tried using non-rechargeable alkaline batteries instead?

• Bob

gtx1050 are not worth s**t imho

• Nathan janway

I have a txt 650 and I went to turn it on and all it does is vibrate. I have took the batteries out and replaced them and it still vibrates. There is nothing on the screen. How can I fix’s this?

Nathan, are you referring to the GXT650? When was the last time the radio worked? Was it in storage for awhile? If so, where and how was it stored? Has it been exposed to moisture or water since then?

• VenkatRaj

Pls suggest solution for this RX issue

The Midland GXT1000 is a GMRS radio with fixed channels and is not programmable.

• Can you add a frequency like if your work uses raidos and i want to use my own?

What is the make and model of these radios?

Hi Collin, The Midland GXT1050 is a GMRS radio and operates on UHF frequencies. A CB radio operates on VHF frequencies. A GMRS radio will not communicate with a CB radio because they operate on different bands.

• Anonymous

My kids have a set that one on the radios the P.T. and alert work and go through to the other radio. However it will not pick up your voice to transmit to the other. The other works percent to send and receive. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

• Charlotte Horstman
    Charlotte Horstman February 7, 2018 at 9:43 am

My Midland XTalker Model T51VP3 two way radios are beeping with an RX up in the right corner. Can anyone tell me what that means and how to fix them.

• Collin Lee

I was wondering if my Midland GXT 1050 Xtra-talk could communicate with some of the cb radios on the market. A friend and I are trying to communicate with these but we are just outside of the range of 3 miles in a suburban area. We were thinking of getting one cb radio and then communicating with it. Would that work? Thanks for all of the help!

What is the make and model of the radio?

• Ryan The King Of The Universe
    Ryan The King Of The Universe February 3, 2018 at 10:44 am

I'm a 11 year old kid that has his walkie talkie stuck in weather mode I've read the manual I've watched videos why is this happinging and how can I fix

• I have the same problem.