Radio 101 - Troubleshooting keys on a Midland GXT two way radio

If your Midland GXT Series two way radio stops responding when you press the buttons, don't panic. It may be a simple fix. In this episode of Radio 101, Anthony from Buy Two Way Radios provides a few quick and easy troubleshooting tips that may resolve the problem and save you a call to customer service. These troubleshooting steps apply to most Midland GXT and LXT Series two way radios, including the Midland GXT860, Midland GXT895, Midland GXT1000, GXT1050, GXT2000 and GXT2050.

29 thoughts on “Radio 101 - Troubleshooting keys on a Midland GXT two way radio”

• Jose Manuel Padilla
    Jose Manuel Padilla April 13, 2019 at 11:21 am

I have 2 midland Radios ( MXT400 and GXT1000) The privacy code dont work?
    Please help

• Steve Taylor

I have Midland G5XT . Fully charged. Turns on fine. Press the transmit key and they turn off ? Both handsets do this. Pls advise

The issue you described is usually indicative of weak batteries. This seems to be a long discontinued model for the UK, but based on the specs it uses either AAA alkaline or rechargeable batteries. If you are using the rechargeables, it may be possible those batteries have reached their end of life. Have you tried using non-rechargeable alkaline batteries instead?

• Bob

gtx1050 are not worth s**t imho

• Nathan janway

I have a txt 650 and I went to turn it on and all it does is vibrate. I have took the batteries out and replaced them and it still vibrates. There is nothing on the screen. How can I fix’s this?

Nathan, are you referring to the GXT650? When was the last time the radio worked? Was it in storage for awhile? If so, where and how was it stored? Has it been exposed to moisture or water since then?

• VenkatRaj

Pls suggest solution for this RX issue

The Midland GXT1000 is a GMRS radio with fixed channels and is not programmable.

• Can you add a frequency like if your work uses raidos and i want to use my own?

What is the make and model of these radios?

Hi Collin, The Midland GXT1050 is a GMRS radio and operates on UHF frequencies. A CB radio operates on VHF frequencies. A GMRS radio will not communicate with a CB radio because they operate on different bands.

• Anonymous

My kids have a set that one on the radios the P.T. and alert work and go through to the other radio. However it will not pick up your voice to transmit to the other. The other works percent to send and receive. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

• Charlotte Horstman
    Charlotte Horstman February 7, 2018 at 9:43 am

My Midland XTalker Model T51VP3 two way radios are beeping with an RX up in the right corner. Can anyone tell me what that means and how to fix them.

• Collin Lee

I was wondering if my Midland GXT 1050 Xtra-talk could communicate with some of the cb radios on the market. A friend and I are trying to communicate with these but we are just outside of the range of 3 miles in a suburban area. We were thinking of getting one cb radio and then communicating with it. Would that work? Thanks for all of the help!

What is the make and model of the radio?

• Ryan The King Of The Universe
    Ryan The King Of The Universe February 3, 2018 at 10:44 am

I'm a 11 year old kid that has his walkie talkie stuck in weather mode I've read the manual I've watched videos why is this happinging and how can I fix

• I have the same problem.

• Douglas Gursky

I have a set of lxt 650 Midland two ways when I got them they worked on the same channel now I have to have one on channel one and one on channel 16 in order to get them to work with each other and they only get about a hundred yards in range is there anything I can do to fix this? I have the ctcss off and the DCS off on both of them I have tried changing them to different codes and everything and nothing I do is working and these radios are only about 4 months old

That may require some troubleshooting on the one radio. You may need to contact Midland.

• frank m. demma

One of my 8 XT models keeps sending a false TX signal to the other 7 and they are squelching and receiving an RX signal even though no one is pressing the PTT button. How can we remedy this problem? Thanks.

• Blake Henderson
    Blake Henderson June 5, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Is there anyway to disable the call button on the Midland T61A?

Hi Dana, your GXT and LXT radios are indeed compatible with each other. If all the radios are on the same channel, chances are your GXT radios are configured to use a CTCSS/DCS interference eliminator code on that channel and the LXT radios are not configured with the same code or any code at all.
    To fix this, simply check your GXT radios to find out what CTCSS or DCS code the channel is assigned to and set your LXT radios to the same code on the same channel.
    For more information on these codes and how to perform a quick fix, check out our video Radio 101 - Privacy Code Issues on GMRS Radios. For a more detailed explanation on CTCSS/DCS codes, listen to The Two Way Radio Show episode TWRS-08 - Talking Publicly About Privacy Codes.