The VL50 is the same radio as the CLS series models, but has 8 channels and different built-in frequencies. It is part of a line of Motorola business radios that are intended to be sold by local (non-internet) dealers, and are usually priced much higher than the CLS series even though there is almost no difference.
An out of the box VL50 will not talk to an out of the box CLS1110 or CLS1410 like you would expect. They can communicate, but the channels are all mixed up! The following chart shows the CLS channel and the equivalent channel on the VL50. (Note, the CLS1110 has 1 channel and the CLS1410 has 4).
If you don't want to deal with the hassle of channels not matching up (and who would!), you can go into programming mode on the radios and assign each channel to a different frequency. Both the CLS series and the VL50 have 56 built-in frequencies, but unfortunately the frequencies are not the same. They do, however, match up on frequencies 1-8, so just make sure you assign your channels on both radios to one of the first 8 frequencies and you're set.
Here's a brief summary of how to program your Motorola CLS series or Motorola VL50 radio.
How To Enter Programming Mode
Press and hold the large Push to Talk (PTT) and MON buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds while you turn the radio on. The radio will beep and display the letters PROG. The channel number will flash and the letters FREQ (frequency) and CODE will alternately flash on the display.
(If you press and release the Push to Talk button while programming the CLS1410, it will take you to the top of Programming Mode.)
How To Select a Frequency for a Channel
1. (CLS1410 only) In programming mode, press the MENU button until the channel number flashes and the frequency and code are alternately displayed. This will be the first setting in programming mode.
2. Press the plus or minus button to choose the channel. Note that the first two steps do not apply to the CLS110 since it has only one channel.
3. (CLS1110 and CLS1410) Press the MENU button until the word FREQ (frequency) appears and the frequency number flashes on the display.
4. Press the plus or minus buttons choose the frequency you want.
5. Press and hold the large Push to Talk (PTT) button to exit programming mode or press the MENU button to program other features of the radio.
That's all there is to it. Once the channels are set to the same frequencies, your VL50 and CLS two way radios should be able to communicate with each other.