How to reset a Baofeng UV-5R two way radio

Baofeng-UV-5R-Reset.jpgCertain circumstances may require you to perform a reset on your Baofeng. Performing a reset is extremely easy, however if you speak only English and the voice prompts are in Chinese, performing a simple reset or recovering from one may require a little more attention.

Follow the steps below to reset a Baofeng UV-5R, BF-F9, BF-F8+, UV-B6 or UV-82 two way radio from Buy Two Way Radios.

To perform a VFO Reset
1.Turn on the radio and press the MENU button.
2.Press the UP and DOWN arrow key to select RESET (Menu Item 40).
3.Press MENU to choose RESET.
4.Press the DOWN arrow key to choose VFO.
5.Press MENU. The radio will display SOURCE?
6.Press MENU to confirm. The radio will display WAIT... for a few seconds, then beep twice to confirm reset is complete. The radio will revert to Chinese language mode. Reset is complete.

To perform a FULL Reset
1.Turn on the radio and press the MENU button.
2.Press the UP and DOWN arrow key to select RESET (Menu Item 40).
3.Press MENU to choose RESET.
4.Press the DOWN arrow key to choose ALL.
5.Press MENU. The radio will display SOURCE?
7.The radio will revert to Chinese language mode. Reset is complete.

To set language from Chinese to English
1.Press MENU.
2.Press the UP and DOWN arrow key to select VOICE (Menu Item 14).
3.Press MENU to choose VOICE.
4.Press the DOWN arrow key to choose ENG.
5.Press MENU to choose ENG.

NOTE: a VFO RESET only resets the frequency values in VFO mode. To reset the radio back to factory defaults, choose RESET/ALL. A reset may resolve some issues, but will not resolve them all. Some scenarios, such as inoperability due to an incorrect or corrupt image file cannot be resolved with a reset and require another resolution. It is, however, usually a standard first step when troubleshooting the radio.

25 thoughts on “How to reset a Baofeng UV-5R two way radio”

• Pat

My baofeng uv-5r only 4 months old . It shows all digits on screen but won’t do anything else.No backlight,sound or keys won’t work

• Rob Lippiatt

Not sure what I’ve done but in channel mode it now only shows 0 and 127, how do I get it back to how it was with 0- 22

• lem n

just bought the Baofeng UV-5R. before it has FM radio but now no fm station and no antenna signal strength level icon. i did a full reset and still it did not work

• Mera

Hi. My dad has a Baofeng UV-5R which he slipped into his pocket while going down the mountain (project site). When he tried using it, he says it seemed to show a timer, such that it can't be used after the time indicated runs off. He thinks about resetting the radio to default. Not sure if he tried it. Hope someone could help. Thanks!

• Manolis Haidaridis
    Manolis Haidaridis June 1, 2018 at 2:55 am

I have a baofeng uv -5r plus I opened after 20days in my bag and it doesn't do anything just the display shows all the digits of it,

Has anything changed since the last time it did transmit? Did you attempt to reprogram it, add or change anything with the programming, change anything in the menu, or connect a new accessory, or otherwise change the configuration of the radio in any way?

• Dave

my UV5R suddenly will not go into transmit. It beeps once on PTT and no transmit mode, red light or power out. Key lock not set. I have done full reset without success. Suggestions?

• Keshav Khoj

Any one can tell how to reset bf 888s radio

Obviously a reset will be more difficult to perform if you cannot view the screen to navigate the menu. However, if the display does not work, chances are a reset will not fix it.

• cytoyen

Hi
    My screen is out but the TK run because I can seen the internal configuration with CHIRP application
    can I proceed to a reset without viewing the the screen
    Cyt.

Hi moshe, we are based in the US and do not carry the BF-888 because the radio is not FCC type accepted for use, so we have no tutorial available.

• moshe

dear sir, would you please give me tutorial how to reset/full reset or hard reset my baofeng bf-888?? I made some mistake when I tried to do something with the software in my computer thank you very much for your help.

Hi Tom, A Real Baofeng UV-5R Owners Manual may be what you are searching for.

• Tom Poleet

Still trying to reset my Baofeng UV-5 to Factory conditions!
    I've got all the cables and have downloaded 'CHIRP' again!!
    Even got a cable to use between Both units but there's Not much info (Manual SUCKS!) on how to do this function!!!
    Using the recommended procedure only restored it partially (Still left my Frequencies intact tho).
    Has anybody printed a better manual IN ENGLISH to use?
    Tom P~

• Make sure you don't have the lock enabled. On the lower right bottom key there will be a key with a symbol of a key. Hold for 3 sec. also use by battery meter on LCD (right side) there should be a symbols of a key if it's locked when you unlock it will disappear

• Jon

THANK YOU. Reset seems to have worked. Next step, I'll try programming the unit via laptop. Unit not made any where near as well as my Yaesu VX6 but for the money, this Baofeng seems like a lot of bang for the buck to have as an emergency expendable. JB - K6QVA

Hi Angel, if the radio is malfunctioning and a reset does not fix the issue, you may need to contact your dealer for technical support.

• Angel Lopez

Hi, Ihave some issues with my BF-F8HP ( incorrect display reading at third digit of the display ( left to right). but the voice and the frequencies are operables. If I write 136000 de display show 131000 and other errors. can you help me with this. Thanks

• Look for a key icon on the screen. If it's there then hold the Key button until it says unlocked.

• Nick E

I have a UV-5R and the updated 5RV2+. The V2+ programmed perfectly thanks to your instructions. The 5R, however, won't work. I keep getting an "incorrect model selection" error message in chirp whenever I try to download from the radio. Any ideas?