(800) 584-1445CONTACT US

You have no items in your shopping cart.

Product was successfully added to your shopping cart.

FCC GMRS License Information

If you are purchasing a two way radio that operates using GMRS frequencies and plan to use it within the United States, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requires that you register for a GMRS license. Please note that this page addresses GMRS radio licensing only. If you are buying a business radio, please refer to our business radio licensing FAQ.

Which radios require an FCC license?

Thanks to some FCC rule changes, the radios that we commonly call "consumer radios" are divided into two different services: FRS and GMRS. Most "consumer radios" are FRS and do not require a license. GMRS allows higher power and more features and requires that you purchase an FCC GMRS license.

Why do I need an FCC license?

In the United States, the FCC regulates the frequencies that are used by devices like two way radios. The FCC requires that anyone operating a device on the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) obtain a license prior to use.

How do I apply for a GMRS FCC license?

A GMRS license requires that you complete FCC form 159 and form 605. These forms can be found on the FCC forms page.

You can also apply for a GMRS license online at the FCC Universal License System (ULS) web site.

Is there a charge for a GMRS license?

Yes. The FCC currently charges a $70.00 fee for GMRS licenses. Some applications, such as government entities, are exempt from this fee. A license is valid for ten years.

Do I have to get a license before I can buy a two way radio?

No. We do not require a license before we will ship a two way radio. We are in no way affiliated with the FCC, or the GMRS licensing process.

Do you report to the FCC that I purchased a GMRS radio?

No. We are in no way affiliated with the FCC, or the GMRS licensing process. As is stated in our privacy policy, we will never provide your information to any third party (outside of the ordering process) unless we are ever required to do so by law or to be in compliance with a court order.

Do I have to get a license if I live outside of the United States?

You only need an FCC GMRS license if you are using the GMRS frequencies within the United States.

I need a radio, but I don't want to pay for a license. What can I do?

Buy an FRS radio. FRS radios share many frequencies with GMRS radios, but do not require a license. FRS is limited to two watts of power, but this is adequate for most common uses!