The Wouxon KG-UV920P-A is a very versitile mobile radio with powerful features at a very low cost. With the optional Wouxun 30A Switching Power Supply (SPS30III), it becomes an economical amateur radio base station, making it a very attractive option for old and new radio operators alike. With all of its pluses, it is no wonder why the KG-UV920P-A is quickly becoming a very popular choice for hams.
Programming the KG-UV920P-A from the front panel or directly from the keypad on the hand microphone isn't very difficult, with a little help from the manual. However, in spite of the bells, whistles and its bargain base station price, programming the KG-UV920P-A through a PC can be a bit of a challenge, even for the technically inclined. Actually, programming it through a PC is easy. It's getting the two devices to connect that can become a hassle. But it shouldn't be a problem at all. The truth is, connecting this mobile/base radio to a PC is only difficult if you don't know how.
Fortunately, we're here and we're going to tell you how you can easily connect your KG-UV920P-A to your PC like a pro.
To begin, you will need the following items:
- Wouxun KG-UV920P-A Twin Band Mobile/Base Transciever
- A power source for the radio (such as the Wouxun SPS30II Power Supply)
- Wouxun Mobile Radio USB Programming Cable (PCO-003)
- USB cable driver (included with PCO-003 on mini-CD)
- KG-UV920P Commander Programming Software (available from Wouxun)
- A computer with Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 7 or Windows 8 installed
As mentioned earlier, this is really a very simple procedure; however, there are three important rules that must be followed. First, you will need everything on the list above before you begin. Second, follow the instructions in order. Failure to do so will yield much frustration and unnecessarily wasted time when the attempt to connect fails. Third, do not plug the USB programming cable into the PC until instructed to do so.
1. To start, the computer should be on and radio should be off. if you have other Wouxon radio products, it is highly recommended to remove all other Wouxun drivers to avoid conflict.
2. Locate the USB programming driver. If you purchased the red Wouxon Mobile Radio USB Programming Cable, the driver will be on the mini-CD included with the cable, along with a several folders and a couple dozen other files that may only create confusion. Insert the mini-CD and go to CP210x_VCP_Windows > CP210x_VCP_Windows > CP210xVCPInstaller_x64.exe. This is the correct driver.
3. Install the USB programming cable driver. Do NOT connect the USB cable at this time.
4. Download the KG-UV920P-A programming software from Wouxun. This is called KG-UV920P Commander. Install the program but do not run it yet.
5. Plug the USB programming cable into the transceiver and turn on the KG-UV920P-A. After the transceiver powers up, plug the cable into the USB port on your PC. There may or may not be a notification after connection. To verify the connection, check the Windows Device Manager. Access to the Device Manager will depend on your version of Windows. Once in Device Manager, click on Ports (COM and LPT). It should be listed as Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COMX). X denotes the COM port number. Note the number and write it down if necessary, as you will need to know it when configuring the programming software.
6. Run KG-UV920P Commander. Click the Port button or click Memories > Port on the menu bar. A window with a list of COM ports should appear. Active ports will be highlighted in bold with radio buttons. If you receive a port connection error, choose the assigned COM port number noted earlier in the Device Manager. Your transciever should be connected to the PC and you should now be able to communicate with the KG-UV920P-A.
To verify the connection, Click Memories > Read From Radio. The program should download the frequencies from the radio. When it completes the data transfer, ReadOK! will appear on the screen. The Wouxun KG-UV920P-A is now ready to program through your PC.
If these instructions are followed correctly, you should not have any difficulty connecting the GK-UV920P-A to your PC. After the initial setup, future connection to the computer should be a matter of simply plugging in the USB programming cable and running KG-UV920P Commander.