12/5/2017 Update - Updated to link to firmware v4.03.
8/31/2017 Update - Firmware version 3.29 has been released and the download link was added below. Please download the 3.29 firmware and refer to it anywhere 3.28 is mentioned below. The new version fixes a bug where the display would remain lit after the radio was powered off.
Some of the TYT MD-9600 owners reported an issue loading channels into their radio using the programming software. The software was reporting that the data was being written successfully, but some or all channels were not accessible on the radio.
To address this issue, TYT released an updated firmware version (3.28) and an updated version of the programming software (1.18). You can download these updates, along with the firmware loader, at the links below:
If you need help upgrading your software firmware, save the three files above to a location on your PC and read below for detailed instructions.
Upgrading the Programming Software
Upgrading the software is very straightforward. It's the same process as installing most other applications on your PC.
1. Find the file CPS MD9600 Setup v1.18.exe that you downloaded above.
2. Double-click (open) the file.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the updated programming software (v1.18).
Upgrading the Firmware
Upgrading the firmware is not quite as straightforward. You will need to power up the radio near a PC, place it in Firmware Upgrade mode, and then run the Firmware Loader application to install the updated firmware on the radio.
First, let's install the Firmware Loader application:
1. Find the file FirmwareDownloadV3.04_EN.exe that you downloaded above.
2. Double-click (open) the file.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the firmware loader application.
4. Depending on your Windows version and configuration, you may need to run this installer as an Administrator.
Now, let's place the MD-9600 in Firmware Upgrade mode and connect it to the PC.
1. Be sure the radio powers up automatically (without having to press the green power button) when external power is applied to the radio. You can get to this mode by removing external power without first turning off the radio (using the green power button).
2. With the external power source OFF, hold down both the P1 button AND the round, orange button to the left of P1 at the same time. With both buttons held down, turn the external power source ON. When the display starts flashing, you can release the buttons. This indicates you are in Firmware Upgrade mode.
3. Connect your MD-9600 to your PC using the programming cable.
Launch the Firmware Loader application and upgrade the firmware.
1. Open the Firmware Loader application. The installer should have left an icon on your desktop called UpgradeDownload.
2. In the window that opens, click the Open file upgrade button in the User program section. In the file selection screen that opens, find the MD9600-REC-D03.28.bin file that you previously downloaded and then click Open.
3. Confirm the correct file appears in the blank, and then click the Download file of upgrade button to begin the firmware upgrade.
4. A progress bar will appear across the top of the application as the firmware is installed. Do not disconnect the programming cable until this is finished! Once complete you'll see the message "Download upgrade file successful!"
5. Once you see the success message, you can click OK and remove external power from the radio. When you power the radio back up it should function as normal. To confirm the firmware version, you can open the following screen on the radio: Menu -> Utilities -> Radio Info -> Versions.