TYT MD-9600 Firmware Update Available

12/5/2017 Update - Updated to link to firmware v4.03.

8/31/2017 Update - Firmware version 3.29 has been released and the download link was added below. Please download the 3.29 firmware and refer to it anywhere 3.28 is mentioned below. The new version fixes a bug where the display would remain lit after the radio was powered off.

Some of the TYT MD-9600 owners reported an issue loading channels into their radio using the programming software. The software was reporting that the data was being written successfully, but some or all channels were not accessible on the radio.

To address this issue, TYT released an updated firmware version (3.28) and an updated version of the programming software (1.18). You can download these updates, along with the firmware loader, at the links below:

If you need help upgrading your software firmware, save the three files above to a location on your PC and read below for detailed instructions.

Upgrading the Programming Software
Upgrading the software is very straightforward. It's the same process as installing most other applications on your PC.

1. Find the file CPS MD9600 Setup v1.18.exe that you downloaded above.
2. Double-click (open) the file.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the updated programming software (v1.18).

Upgrading the Firmware
Upgrading the firmware is not quite as straightforward. You will need to power up the radio near a PC, place it in Firmware Upgrade mode, and then run the Firmware Loader application to install the updated firmware on the radio.

First, let's install the Firmware Loader application:
1. Find the file FirmwareDownloadV3.04_EN.exe that you downloaded above.
2. Double-click (open) the file.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the firmware loader application.
4. Depending on your Windows version and configuration, you may need to run this installer as an Administrator.

Now, let's place the MD-9600 in Firmware Upgrade mode and connect it to the PC.
1. Be sure the radio powers up automatically (without having to press the green power button) when external power is applied to the radio. You can get to this mode by removing external power without first turning off the radio (using the green power button).

2. With the external power source OFF, hold down both the P1 button AND the round, orange button to the left of P1 at the same time. With both buttons held down, turn the external power source ON. When the display starts flashing, you can release the buttons. This indicates you are in Firmware Upgrade mode.

md9600-firmware-upg.gif
3. Connect your MD-9600 to your PC using the programming cable.

Launch the Firmware Loader application and upgrade the firmware.
1. Open the Firmware Loader application. The installer should have left an icon on your desktop called UpgradeDownload.

2. In the window that opens, click the Open file upgrade button in the User program section. In the file selection screen that opens, find the MD9600-REC-D03.28.bin file that you previously downloaded and then click Open.

3. Confirm the correct file appears in the blank, and then click the Download file of upgrade button to begin the firmware upgrade.

md9600-loader.PNG
4. A progress bar will appear across the top of the application as the firmware is installed. Do not disconnect the programming cable until this is finished! Once complete you'll see the message "Download upgrade file successful!"

5. Once you see the success message, you can click OK and remove external power from the radio. When you power the radio back up it should function as normal. To confirm the firmware version, you can open the following screen on the radio: Menu -> Utilities -> Radio Info -> Versions.

40 thoughts on “TYT MD-9600 Firmware Update Available”

• Rafael O. Flores
    Rafael O. Flores February 23, 2019 at 2:56 pm

I bought the TYT MD-9600, programmed and it was working great!. Then for n reason the screen displayed a message "ENTER PASSWORD" and the radio do not respond to form of command. I contacted some of my friends in the Ham Community. But none of them knows about a case like this.
    I heard that there is a firmware that you can load on the radio and it does bypass the needed password.
    Does anybody knows about this?

• Shayda

Joe Morrison
    this is not big problem just go to zone and add some CH to Group A and B is done bro

• esteban exposito
    esteban exposito December 24, 2018 at 1:16 am

¿Cómo se hace un reinicio total de la radio para devolverla a su condición de fábrica? Debe haber una combinación de botones para presionar.
    How do you do a total reset of the radio to bring it back to factory condition? There must be a combo of buttons to press.

• Mike

""Since the update, the MD-9600 is asking for a password.""
    I have now the same problem........need help!
    Is there anybody who knows the password?

73 Mike
    DO1MDE

• The firmware has been updated and it is available for the download and hoe it will be downloaded and installed can be done by the process which is given here and a user can do it by just accessing the same way it has been given.

• Jeff

I understand that the B side screen will display "Unprogrammed" until you program something in both A and B sides of the radio. I can't for the life of me find any were that you can select to program anything into side B of the radio. Any help / push in the right direction is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Kevin, "Menu" is the "C" button and "*" is the button with the lock icon. Both buttons are located on the keypad of the hand microphone.

• Kevin KB8TAR

OK so I successfully programmed in the local repeater but the menu now says it is locked. Press "Menu" and "*" to unlock. Where are the mythical buttons?

• Gary - K7EK

Thanks Rick.. I will call during a weekday. I appreciate your help.
    Best regards,
    Gary, K7EK

Hi Gary, please give us a call at 1-800-584-1445 and we will be happy to assist you with resolving the issue.

• Gary - K7EK

I attempted to do a firmware upgrade this evening on both of my MD-9600's. The first went flawlessly. Unfortunately the second one did not go so well. It ended up with a completely white screen. I am positive that I used the correct updating procedure, just as I did with the first one. Can someone tell me how to get my screen back? I bought both of these MD-9600's from Buy Two Way Radios on the promotional offer. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Best regards,
    Gary, K7EK
    Radcliff, KY (EM77at)

• Jim

Mine said unprogrammed until I added at least one channel into each A and B side. Then the display looked correct

• Rich Smith

Is it possible to program & create talkgroups manually on the radio ?

• David May

I received my MD9600 a few days ago and have installed the updates and went through the process as stated above. I attempted to program the radio through my computer and when I turn it on it has a continuous tone and the screen says "Unprogrammed". I later went back and read from the radio and it shows all pulls up the programming on the computer but the radio still says unprogrammed. If I go into the radio through the menu and select zone it shows the zone that I programmed but once I select it the radio goes back to the screen that says unprogrammed. From everything that I have seen, the programming wrote to the radio but the radio will not recognize it. What am I missing here?

• Steve Kearis

• Mike Henegjhan

Please update the new firmware link for theTYTMD9600D on your website
    Mike K1MIC

• David

Need Help, after many drivers I was finally able to communicate with my MD-9600.
    I wanted to update the firmware before programming. It seemed to go fine, clicked ok and cut off power supply. When I powered back up all I got was a steady tone and UNPROGRAMED across the bottom of the screen. Is that bad?

• David Watkins

Great! Now my MD-9600 has a steady audible tone and the screen displays UNPROGRAMMED. Thought I was updating?

• Mike Wolff - KG4Y
    Mike Wolff - KG4Y November 18, 2017 at 8:08 pm

I successfully upgraded to 4.03 from 4.02 on a radio that I purchased from another TYT reseller. After having attempted a downgrade to 3.29 WITHOUT following the critical instructions in the video in this post and putting the radio into a display mess, I was able to recover it by first installing the firmware the right way (by putting the radio in firmware update mode - accomplished by disconnecting power from the radio, holding down the red button next to the 'P1' key and the 'P1' key itself simultaneously, then applying normal power - gets the backlight on the screen to flash), then load my code plug back into the radio, and all seems normal again. Just sharing my experience, YMMV.

• Paul

Joe, If you only have one side of the radio programmed, in a zone only uhf and no vhf, it will show the channel you have programmed toward the top with unprogrammed toward the bottom showing you have nothing in the b side